Wednesday 26 August 2009

A Donkey Escape Artist!

I said earlier here, I much prefer Donkeys to Horses.
So, seeing this clever one @ the Donkey Sanctuary, is delightful fun...



A childhood friend Timmy had a Donkey as a pet, @ first he so enthusiastic about caring for Ella.
But soon, it was only my Mother & I who went along to give her, her daily Carrots & nose rub.
Then she suddenly disappeared, her paddock was empty!
For ages Mother would not tell me what happened to her.
She came to an awfully tragic end.
Someone carelessly left the her paddock gate open, she went exploring the country lanes & was hit by delivery van, that resulted in her trotting off to greener pastures but very sadly via the horrible Knackers Yard!
I cried, Timmy when I went to see him about her said...'So What!'.
Hence, an early friendship ended!!!
Only once, regrettably in Paris, have I eaten Horse meat, the meal was over before I realised the true nature of my steak.
I was mortified!

A happier childhood memory, is Donkey rides on the beach @ Weymouth on the south coast.
Yes this me on 'Blackie' with my Mother in 1959 or there abouts...
...And, I still always laugh with pleasure when I meet any one being well loved & cared for!

2 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

What a shame about Ella! Donkeys are so adorable! I'd love to have one but he'd have to share the barn with hubby's precious Indian motorcycles! HAHA!

Roan said...

I love donkeys, but have never really been around them. They have such character.